Friday, October 23, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Ack!  Ack!  I have joined National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), and now must try to write 50,000 words in a month.  Ack!  I am not at all sure I can do this, but I will try, and I will also understand that I will not revise or edit a word but will plow on in a relentless, yet hopefully creative way, until the month ends.  Unless not revising drives me so batty that I become stuck, in which case I will allow myself half an hour to do so, no more.


Always good to set some guidelines, yes? 


To that end, I've actually done some character sketches, brainstormed some ideas, fleshed out the story a bit.  I think I know the characters' backstory pretty well now. Oh, the story?  It's the Irish werewolf one I was talking about over in the Pollyanna Files.  I think I know what I need to write and how.  Whew!  I don’t think I’ve ever been as nervous writing a book before.  You’d think I’d be used to it, but this time....well, I suppose it’s because I haven’t written a big novel in more than a few years, just novellas.  So, this is my chance to do a “don’t look down” draft and see how far I get.  I’ll need to do some major number of pages just to get close to the count, but that’s the goal of the event, to get out as many page as possible.


As I go, I might post a few snippets from the work-in-progress, if they aren’t too horrible. 


Ack!

0 comments: